February is American Heart Month. At Sunrise® Windows & Doors, we love our customers and our employees, which is why raising awareness about heart disease and increasing knowledge of how to prevent this devastating disease is close to our hearts. We know that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Here are some facts that can help you educate yourself on the dangers of heart disease and get on track to better heart health.
Facts About Heart Disease
- Heart disease (which includes any disorder that affects the heart) is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women.
- About 715,000 people in the United States suffer heart attacks each year.
- In the U.S., someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds. Every 60 seconds, someone in the U.S. dies from a heart disease-related event.
- Women are more likely than men to die after their first heart attack.
- The Southeast collectively has the highest cardiovascular death rate in the U.S.
Risk Factors for Heart Disease
About half of all adults have at least one risk factor for heart disease, and many of these risk factors may not have any symptoms. Risk factors include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, obesity and poor diet. However, controlling these risk factors can reduce one’s risk of heart disease by more than 80%.
What You Can Do
- Quit smoking.
- Eat a diet that’s low in fat, cholesterol, salt and sugar, and high in fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Participate in moderate exercise 30 minutes a day, five days a week.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Control your blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes and weight.
Join Sunrise Windows on Facebook and Twitter every Wednesday this month, when we’ll give you a tip on how to improve heart health! For more information about Sunrise windows and patio sliding doors, explore our website and use our dealer locator to find a dealer near you.